My Craft



I’m a green wood carver based in West Yorkshire in the U.K. I carve spoons and bowls from green unseasoned wood using traditional methods using only hand tools mainly just axe and knife. I am at my most happy, calm and fulfilled when carving green wood. In the conversation between sharp blade and green wood there is no room for my anxiety. I am totally absorbed. This is where I find my flow and is my working meditation.

I work in partnership with The National Trust at their Nostell site in Wakefield.  Here in the idyllic setting of Engine Wood I teach courses in green woodwork and carving for the Trust and independently. I also teach courses at The Craft House in Saltaire. I sell my carved goods online and at The Craft House. 

I love teaching courses and passing on the skill that I have developed over my ten-year craft journey from hobby to profession. I spent 15 years as a college lecturer in Countryside Management so running courses helps me to keep the aspects of teaching that I always loved.

I have been self-employed for almost three years. Currently I would estimate that I make 50% of my low income from selling and teaching craft work. The rest of my income comes from work surveying trees and writing tree reports for a small arboricultural consultant firm. I live a simple life through choice which allows me to work this way.
If you’re interested in seeing more of my work, my Instagram account is mc_woodcrafts and I have a courses listing on www.craftcourses.com


Comments

  1. Great to see this Mike. Really looking forward to reading what you have to say about life, in your future blogs. I know from personal experience how crafting can be meditative and therapeutic, and I wholeheartedly agree that when you are engaged with your medium fully, intrusive thoughts are put on hold...giving the mind time to heal. Congratulations on overcoming the procrastination that all anxiety sufferers experience and getting the blog going...I have been toying with the idea for months, and you have inspired me to crack on...I think! Good luck. Zoe Dudding x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts